Monday, March 26, 2007

Common Wealth Awards 2007

Ian McEwan has been named one of the recipients of the 28th Annual Common Wealth Awards of Distinguished Service. These prestigious awards recognize individuals who have advanced and enriched society through their outstanding contributions.

Along with McEwan's award (for Literature), the 2007 Common Wealth Award winners are Sidney Poitier (for Dramatic Arts), Aleksander Kwasniewski (for Government), Cokie Roberts (for Mass Communications).

The Common Wealth Awards of Distinguished Service were first presented in 1979 by the Common Wealth Trust, created under the will of the late Ralph Hayes, an influential business executive and philanthropist. Hayes conceived the awards to reward and encourage the best of human performance worldwide. In their 28-year history, the Common Wealth Awards have conferred $4 million in prize money to 161 honorees of international renown. The awards are funded by the Common Wealth Trust.

The winners will be honored at a special event to be held on 28 April.

1 Comments:

Blogger ralph mackay said...

Congratulations on the blog. I remember emailing you about how impressed I was with your website for McEwan many months ago. I too have a library background and I found it just what an author should have, a one stop source for information. I have much to learn about blogging but if you are interested, I have just posted my review of On Chesil Beach. I enjoyed it very much. Cheers.

April 9, 2007 at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home